Have you met Ziggatino?

Last night I went to Krak'n Night Out.  It was held in the Hothouse in Morecambe, Lancashire, UK.  I was told it would be a casual night and not to worry about dress code. I decided to wear me best togs!  Luckily I did, nearly everyone was dressed to the '9's'!  I grabbed the local beverage:


Black sheep ale.......mmmmmm!  I tried a couple of local ales which the bartender recommended. She also asked would I like my beer chilled or at room temperature, to which I replied, what would you recommend, the bartender replies, the locals drink it at room temperature and I said I'll go with your recommendation....so she hands me a chilled beer!


Ziggatino with hand painted watch
I then look around to find a place to sit.  Two tables from the stage is a solitary figure with three empty chairs around the table.  I ask this person if I may sit on one of  these empty chairs to which the reply is to the affirmative.  The room is hot or maybe I am hot, anyways I take off my coat and put it on the back of my chair and put my bag on the floor and then take a sip of the local beverage.  I then have a polite conversation with the other person at my table who I find out is Lauren.

The conversation goes along the lines of favourite music (hers is jazz and rock, Moody Blues, the Tremoloes and anything up to the 80's, nothing worthwhile after that....her words not mine, even though I am in agreement) why Steampunk?  Where do you work, live etc, etc......
Then I find out Lauren is an artist....has been drawing since the first time someone put a pencil in her hand...possibly 4 years old!  Lauren pulls out her portfolio...which she always carries with her....and to say it was impressive is to undermine her work!  The range and scope of her work is to say the least, awesome!  Of most interest to me were her animal pictures, there is a complete love of her subject, the dogs looked so alive you felt you could pat them and they would respond......and then Lauren showed me a drawing of a crusader with a machine gun!  The detail was meticulous, nothing missing, this was a warrior not to tangle with!  Yes I am waxing lyrical about this young women's talents (18 years of age!) but watch out for her, her professional name: "Ziggatino" which Lauren assures me has no meaning in any language, a name that came to her.


Alice's Night Circus
You would think I'd said enough, but no!  To top it off Ziggatino gifts me a framed Steampunk Wolf!  I had to force her to accept a gift of orange juice!...................... I wish her all the best in her studies at Teesside University Middlesbrough!

Then the music starts....this is Steampunk music I have been waiting for and I was not disappointed!  Theatrical, operatic in nature and mysterious!  The lights on stage are low and to either side of the singer are two banners proclaiming the artist about to perform:  Alice's Night Circus - the costume reminiscent of Alice in wonderland only more steampunkish and a bit spooky.  The singing was mesmerising and beautiful, I was drawn into another world which spoke of endless possibilities and enchantments...swept on a wave of haunting melodies!  I am glad I came out tonight to watch a good performer perform to a small audience of maybe 50-60 people!

The next band named Metropolis plays rather dark heavy metal music.  In the line up is lead singer Christopher Longman,,,,,, Pete Alexander on Bass, Colin White on Lead Guitar, Dan Alexander on Drums and Johnny Boreham on Keyboards.  Again the performance is captivating, which is what a performance should be, it's not just about the music, if it was, I would only listen to CD's!
Metropolis
To finish the live entertainment we had Mr B - The Gentleman Rhymer.  He is much more light hearted playing a Banjo, and as Lauren points out you can only be happy when someone plays a Banjo, which I have to agree,  it does make me happy and so did Mr. B!


 
Mr B

  


The night ended with with DJ sets from Darksides!

So I toddle off home quite happy with the nights entertainment!  As I am strolling past the Royal Oak pub I can hear lots of people wailing at the top of their lungs and what should I hear?  Janus Joplin - Piece of my Heart!  As if this wasn't bad enough I hear more wailing from another pub...the Pier and this time it's a David Bowie song - The Jean Genie!  So I finally make it back to my Hotel room for some much needed sleep........  Tomorrow I am going to post some amazing photos of the Steampunk outfits I have seen here...worth waiting for......


Labels: , , , ,